Burlington Lodge History

History

Burlington Lodge was formed on June 15, 1864 by a group of nine Masons meeting in a hall at the corner of Brant and Pine Streets in the Village of Wellington Square. The meeting was held by special dispensation of the Grand Master, Most Worshipful Brother T.D. Harington.

Confederation Of Canada

You might better relate to this date if you realize that it was three years before the Confederation of Canada, nine years before the Village changed its name to Burlington and while the Civil War was raging in our neighbour to the south.

At that first meeting the first candidates, four in number, were passed on and approved.

In the following November the appointed officers were installed. The founding members and candidates were prominent members in the community, some of them, for example, went on to be Reeve, County Warden, member of the Provincial Legislature and the Parliament of Canada.

Six Nations Chief Was Worshipful Master

The Worshipful Master in 1869 and 1871, W.Bro. Simcoe Kerr was the principal chief of the Six Nations Indians.

The Lodge met in the original hall, at what is now 367 Brant Street, from, 1864 to 1868 when they rented space over a store owned by two of the members, at the corner of Water St. (now Lakeshore Road) and John St. where they met for 39 years. In 1907 the Lodge made its third and last move to its present site.

The Burlington Masonic Hall Company was formed to purchase the building and rented it back to the Lodge for $100.00 per year.

Burlington Lodge purchased the building in 1914 and retained sole ownership until 1953 when the Burlington Masonic Temple Association was formed to hold the ownership. The shares in the Association are held by the lodges that meet in the building, Burlington, Brant, Wellington Square, King David Royal Arch Chapter and the Order of the Eastern Star.

Until 1953 the lodges met in what is now the banquet room next door. During 1953 and 1954 construction was carried out resulting in the room we now occupy which can seat 105. While the renovations were going on the Lodge held their meetings at the Beach Lodge hall on the Hamilton/Burlington beach strip.

Recognition

Since its formation Burlington Lodge has been recognized a number of times by our Grand Lodge. On four occasions the Grand Master has joined our meeting. The most recent was on May 3rd 1989 in celebration of our 125th Anniversity. Seven Five brothers have been elected to the office of District Deputy Grand Master, namely Right Worshipful Bros. William Kerns, Harry A. Graham, Lloyd Dingle, Earl F. Sovereign, Duncan J. McFadgen, John R. Hanna, and R. W. Bro. Peter A. Lyles. R.W. Bro. G. Ivor Davies was elected Grand Senior Warden.

A number have also been honoured by being appointed Grand Stewards including most recently Very Worshipful Bros. R.N. Vickers, C.C. Scheer, F.G. Wickens, C.L. McFadden, H. Rose, R.M. Hanna, R. A. Parker and W. A. Vollick.